This delicious, nutritious and easy to make yellow lentil dahl with spinach is chock full of spices so get cooking! To learn more about the health benefits of turmeric check out our blog article here.
Yellow lentil dahl with spinach
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 long green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 400 g yellow split peas rinsed and drained
- 800 g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups Massel style liquid stock 750ml
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- to taste coriander chopped or torn (optional)
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add garlic and ginger, and cook for a further minute. Stir in spices, then cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add lentils, stock, tomatoes and 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water extra. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cook for 1-1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender and dahl is thick and rich.
- Stir through baby spinach.
- Sprinkle with coriander (optional).